Monday, April 27, 2009

The Old Oak Tree




I grew up at the base of Mt. Diablo and I was surrounded by oak trees. Black Oak to be exact. These trees are big and beautiful. The Druids had a special relationship with the oaks. Theye were known to hold whispered consultations with oak trees by which means they determined both the past and divined the future. Druids. Druidhen, in the tongue of the ancient Gaels: "knowers of oak trees" The Druids met in groves of oaks for ceremony, nature's church, so to speak. The oak tree is a magnificent tree to be one with. I have read that the oak is very helpful in finding solutions to 'knotty problems' and also soothes the nervous system. The oak represents inner strength and power and can be used to tap into yours and make excellent wands just for this purpose.
I believe that by growing up around the oak trees helped me in being a stronger woman today. I climbed, swung, rode my horse through groves, and just sat under them as a child. I loved collecting the acorns and the oak balls. My dad use to cut up the dead trees on our property for firewood, and the smell of the burning oak leaves is a beautiful memory of my child hood. Sometimes I can just visualize the bonfire and smell those dried oak leaves burning.

No comments: