Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting ready for Wesak Festival (Vesak Buddha day)



The first full moon in May marks the celebration of the birth and the death of the Buddha. Buddha has taught us universal peace and understanding. This year it falls on May 9th. I honor this day because I believe in the teaching of Buddha, and just like Jesus, he was a master of love and patience. I celebrate on this day and I start preparing for the festival 5 days prior. I do not eat meat and I drink a lot of water. I meditate three times, morning, afternoon, and night. I burn nag champa and white candles. While I have Buddha statues all around my home and yard, I leave small offerings at each statue. This is my time to fully give my undivided attention to the Buddha and what he has brought to my life through his teachings.

Blessings~
Desiree

No comments: